Thursday, March 31, 2011

Events : Allied Beauty Association Show 2011

DO OR DIE

Being a woman myself, I can safely attest that women are CRAZY-EEEE when it comes to their hair!  Not to say that guys aren't CRAZY-EEEE either, but just not as prominent...for now.  

On March 27, 2011, RAZ Magazine went downtown to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre to check out the ABA Hair Show (aka Allied Beauty Association).  This show is geared towards hair or beauty industry professionals who are looking to compete in catergorized hair or makeup competitions, seek out useful tips, information and educational seminars, or snab a great deal at the cash and carry booths. 


Being a makeup artist, I naturally gravitated towards the makeup booth, more specifically Modern Basic.   They had some amazing deals - tweezers for $3.75 CAD, eye shadow palettes for under $20 CAD, etc.  All I really wanted were just a few items, but apparently the lineup to get to the cash register was going to take over an hour.  And I knew for a fact if I even remotely tried to cut to the front just to pay, that I'd probably get my head chopped off by those in front.  So I just shrugged my shoulders, put the goods down and sadly walked away.  


Wella, Sebastian, L'Oreal and other big names were on stage throughout the day giving presentations about their products.  I even scored a free L'Oreal Infinium Lumiere hairspray for filling out a form.  Hope I don't end up with massive spam emails from that one...this hairspray better be worth it!  Moroccanoil was giving out free samples too - Light and Regular Oil Treatments.  An amazing product for frizzy dry hair I might add.  Basically there were deals, irons and cash flying everywhere. People were rolling in with empty suitcases and walking out with it full and then some. I guess the ABA show is the best time to stock up. Deals AND no tax for most of the booths. Score!


One of the show's highlights was the book-signing and stage presentation of Tabatha Coffey - Slice TV's host and star of "Tabatha's Salon Makeover"!  There were lineups galore to get her signature on her new book "It's Not Really About the Hair : The Honest Truth About Life, Love, and the Business of Beauty".  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to catch her presentation, but rumour has it, it was mega-inspiring and simply amazing.  That's what the ABA's goal is really -- to inspire...and it has done just that. 


My co-editor in chief TC has this theory about women and trying to look good. He says, "Women don't get dolled up for guys, they get dolled up to compete against other WOMEN!!!"  The competition is fierce and every woman out there is trying to out-do one another.  It's DO or DIE! 
I guess that explains why women look each other up and down at clubs -- it's why they pay top dollar for the best cut + colour or lie on a table for 2 hours getting lash extensions or subject themselves to something as painful as a brazilian wax.  The ladies are doing it for the other ladies. So at the end of the day, a woman can look herself in the mirror and tell herself "I'm fabulous and you ain't got nothing on me B-TCHES!" Amen. 

For more information about the ABA Hair Show, please visit : http://www.abacanada.com

Article : Maggie Ng
Venue : Metro Toronto Convention Centre


No comments:

Post a Comment