Monday, July 4, 2011

Hair Product Review : Sebastian Shaper Plus Hairspray


Sebastian : Shaper Plus Hairspray [300g/10.6 fl oz]
Beauty Stars : 4.5

Review : Sebastian Shaper Plus Hairspray is one of the most highly used and preferred hairsprays of beauty professionals.  I tend to keep one in my hair kit at all times.  I think the mist when sprayed out is the perfect consistancy: not too fine or not too hard.  I find it’s great for updo’s because it has good control. If you lightly spray before curling/setting the hair, it provides a nice hold but is still brushable when you need to do styling or make changes.  It typically doesn’t flake when you comb through it.  And when you require extra hold, you just spray more in the areas needed. I also like the scent of it too.

The product claims to be humidity resistant, but I find no matter what, if it’s really hot/humid outside and you’re a bride who needs the hair to last, your style can still get messy/frizzy if the hair is styled in a down-do.  But I find if you do an updo, then yes, it will usually hold and stay put for the entire day. I guess it depends on your hair/texture/style you’re going for.  I usually carry a few different cans of spray with different holds just in case this one isn’t working well for someone.

The only negative comment I can think about this product is that the nozzle does get clogged every now and then.  So sometimes you have to run it under warm water and use a toothpick or tweezer to pick out the hardened spray at the spout.  It can be a bit pricey and is mostly found in specialty hair stores and beauty salons, but you will find it in the odd Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada too.  I find if you go to the States, it’s usually cheaper and often on sale too, so that’s when I stock up!

Sebastian did change their formula and is now offered in a black can of the same spray called Zero Gravity, Re-Shaper and Shaper Fierce.  I heard the new formula wasn’t as good but I haven’t personally tried it yet. So I’m just sticking to using the original formula in the white can, since it’s been tried, tested and true. Not really sure if the white can is going to be discontinued though…eek…I hope not since this is one of my staple products I love using!!!

Beauty Review : Maggie Ng
Note : For any beauty questions or product submissions, please email : maggie@maggieng.com

No comments:

Post a Comment